Nub Live Forum

Nub Live Forum (http://www.nublive.com/forum/index.php)
-   Studio News (http://www.nublive.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   OLIVA, GENERAL DENY RUMORED SALE (http://www.nublive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8583)

Jimmie The Mum 05-04-2016 05:47 AM

OLIVA, GENERAL DENY RUMORED SALE

http://halfwheel.com/oliva-denies-ru...igar-co/113659

Late last week, chatters regarding the sale of Oliva Cigar Co. to Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG), parent of General Cigar Co., began to pick up.

Earlier today, The Cigar Authority went on record stating, “Oliva Cigar Company Sold To General Cigar.” That rumor has been denied by both Oliva and General.

“Contrary to rumor and speculation a purchase of Oliva cigar by General Cigar is not imminent,” said Cory Bappert, vp of sales of Oliva, in a statement to halfwheel.

Over the weekend, Régis Broersma, president of General Cigar Co., told halfwheel the company was not buying Oliva. That was repeated by Craig Reynolds, evp of global handmade cigar businesses for STG, who indicated the company was not in any negotiations with Oliva at this time.

Tonto 05-04-2016 06:20 PM

This whole thing is interesting....

Jimmie The Mum 05-04-2016 09:51 PM

is not imminent,

not in any negotiations with Oliva at this time

Tonto 05-04-2016 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmie The Mum (Post 239864)
is not imminent,

Yeah, that's exactly what I saw in it too

blacklabel 05-05-2016 08:15 AM

Nice! Glad this was proved to be false.

Tonto 05-05-2016 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacklabel (Post 239878)
Nice! Glad this was proved to be false.

I'm not sure it was proved false,

Just some "lawyer speak" language:
Quote:

is not imminent,

Tonto 05-05-2016 12:55 PM

Maybe that's the reason the main Oliva website still hasn't been updated.

skipper 05-05-2016 06:31 PM

not even close Jan

Tonto 05-05-2016 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipper (Post 239896)
not even close Jan

How so?

Jimmie The Mum 05-06-2016 09:21 AM

Perhaps this web person they hired back in 2/2016 never worked out. One would think some fixes especially the minor ones would of been done by now.

Tonto 05-06-2016 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmie The Mum (Post 239904)
Perhaps this web person they hired back in 2/2016 never worked out. One would think some fixes especially the minor ones would of been done by now.

If that's the case, they need to get someone else.

I know someone who has a kick-ass company that could do wonders for the Oliva website. He's even into cigars too.

Tonto 05-06-2016 01:08 PM

The event section on the Oliva site is an error. I don't think it's been updated in several years.

skipper 05-06-2016 11:09 PM

This is how rumors get started. You can guess all day but that brings you no closer to the truth.

Jimmie The Mum 05-07-2016 07:49 AM

It's too bad they haven't kept up / upgraded their sites, certainly not good for business.

Tonto 05-07-2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipper (Post 239933)
This is how rumors get started. You can guess all day but that brings you no closer to the truth.

Guessing...yeah, maybe but also reading between the lines of the "lawyer speak" that was used in the press release.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipper (Post 239896)
not even close Jan

So if I'm not even close, you must know, so what is it then?

Tonto 05-07-2016 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmie The Mum (Post 239947)
It's too bad they haven't kept up / upgraded their sites, certainly not good for business.

Yeah, I've stopped looking for the answers to the questions I had on the cigars. I just won't pick up any of them.

And without knowing if there are going to be any Oliva events near me, I can't go to them. Or did Oliva stop doing small events at b/m stores & only does the large events now?

skipper 05-07-2016 10:30 AM

good for business is making great cigars and getting them to us, keeping up with demand without letting quality suffer and somehow coaxing more tobacco out of the ground when you release wildly successful product. and... dealing with constantly changing legislation and regulation.

Jimmie The Mum 05-07-2016 11:51 AM

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/p...psijoqty0h.png

skipper 05-07-2016 12:25 PM

what a clever retort

Jimmie The Mum 05-07-2016 04:06 PM

Thank you, It's just good business to report the facts..

skipper 05-09-2016 08:03 AM

there isn't a fact in this entire thread

Jimmie The Mum 05-09-2016 08:51 AM

I guess Skipper, more or less. The web site hasn't been updated in a long time and for us it doesn't really matter cause we know the product.
But it is good business to keep a web presence.

Great sales yesterday on ST products / Oliva on that Cigar Page web site.

As far as the sale rumors, I agree it's a rumor but I guess only time will tell. My local shop has been saying that for months but I basically ignore him.

Jay 05-20-2016 10:34 AM

A few things to consider here...I'm sure all of the boutique brands get offers from the big 3 (Altadis, General, Davidoff) all the time. These are all small, privately owned companies so, none of them, Oliva included, is going to release any info on a sale until the deal is done.

The "news" leak was a troll job so don't put any stock in it.

Consider some other facts: Oliva had a #1 cigar of the year last year, so, from a practical perspective, why would they dump a ton of money into the site, into events, or into new advertising when CA's article did it all for free.

The Melanio ranking forced them into shifting gears to get as many Melanios on the market as quickly as possible.

Jose is a really really smart guy and I am sure the FDA regulation, which started a long time ago, also plays into Oliva's decision making for 2016.

skipper 05-20-2016 10:39 AM

well said Jay!

Jay 05-20-2016 10:42 AM

To add, despite my friendship with DWags, I don't know any more than you guys so don't read into anything I'm saying.

My thoughts..

With recent industry trends to sell (CAO, Camacho, LGC, etc.) I think there is a good chance that Oliva could eventually follow suit. In fact, if this FDA bullsh1t continues, a few of your favorite boutique brands are probably going to put out for sale signs.

It's a tough one to call. Oliva is a proud cigar family, so I have a hard time believing they would sell, but the primary players there are all young, and a sale would make them all a lot of money while relieving them of the huge burden of being in a business that is under constant regulatory attack.

Dave Wagner 05-20-2016 10:56 AM

Padron is having an event near my house tonight. I may go and buy a Padron.
You heard it here first. I'm buying Padron. lol

Seriously, General has been buying us since I started over 10 years ago. It's no truer today than it was back then. That's a fact.

That being said, with the FDA regs coming, I'd expect to hear about a ton of acquisitions and consolidations coming up. Regulation will crush the little guys, and forever change the business. There will be significant motivation to buy and sell brands that were around before Feb 2007. But that's another story...

Jay 05-20-2016 11:00 AM

I'd be more worried about the newer brands like My Father, Kristoff, Crowned Heads, etc. At least Oliva has a lot of pre-2007 product, these other guys are screwed.

RPlaspohl 06-23-2016 08:49 PM

Looks like they ARE going to be sold. Who the hell is J Cortez? It's all over FB and Halfwheel

Jay 06-24-2016 07:55 AM

J Cortez killed the Aztecs.

blacklabel 06-24-2016 09:00 AM

If the cigars stay the same does it matter who owns it?