Nub Live Forum

Nub Live Forum (http://www.nublive.com/forum/index.php)
-   Open Cigar Talk (http://www.nublive.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What are you smoking right now??? (http://www.nublive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1714)

chrish012 04-26-2009 03:41 PM

What are you smoking right now???

(or most recently...)

I didn't see a thread like this so I decided it was time!

Today was such a beautiful day I couldn't resist an hour or two on my little balcony. Plus the wife is out so no griping! I'm still new to cigars so rather than a box or two of the same thing my little humi is still full of singles I buy at my local B&M. I'm starting to discover which ones I like best and believe me NUb makes up 3 of my top 5!

Currently smoking a 358 Connie, 30 minutes in and maybe halfway through. Its a little dry but thats my own fault. I'm trying to get into the habit of inspecting my singles at the shop while picking them out but I was in a hurry and ended up with a bad one. It still tastes great but its burning hotter than normal and the cut was a little rough.

So what are you guys puffin' right now?!

EBCIII 04-26-2009 03:56 PM

None today. Just chilling, Beale.

chrish012 04-26-2009 04:53 PM

mmmmmmmm, always a good smoke. Lasted just over an hour, smoked it until I couldn't hold it! I wanted to get you guys a good nub stand but the wind got the best of me :(
Paired surprisingly well with sweet tea...

http://gomorrah/pics/IMG00091.jpg

http://gomorrah/pics/IMG00099.jpg

ToolMan28 04-26-2009 07:29 PM

My buddy sent me a package with a Punch Royal Coronation, comes in a silver tube. I could'nt believe it, back in the day when I used to pick up a cigar from the shop, this is the one I always picked. I bet I have not had one of these for 10 years or so. I can't believe he remembered, heck I almost forgot myself. So I will soon light her up and see if she's still as good as I remember.

CSMAnderson 04-26-2009 09:04 PM

I smoked a NUB Habano torp yesterday with about 6 months hummy time on it. Man was it smooth. Totally enjoyable.

EvilAsh 04-27-2009 06:07 AM

I've got a bad cold right now, so no cigars for me over the weekend :(

skipper 04-27-2009 08:50 AM

One of my employees! (late again!)

EvilAsh 04-27-2009 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipper (Post 22433)
One of my employees! (late again!)

hahaha, give them hell Skipper!

D.T 04-27-2009 02:29 PM

Going out to walk the dog with a 5 Vegas Miami Knuckle then off to work... Booo

EvilAsh 04-27-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.T (Post 22456)

Good choice, really like the 5V Miami! :thumb:

chrish012 04-27-2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.T (Post 22456)

Are the Knuckle's the same as the full size ones? Any better/worse? I want to get a few of the Knuckles and try them out...

On an unrelated note: Anyone ever done one of these cigar-of-the-month clubs? A couple of the bigger online shops have them (cigar.com, ci.com, etc). My wife got me 3 months on the cigar club at amazingclubs.com and unfortunately it sucks... It was a great thought and I love that she tried, but I think she picked the wrong place.
In three months (15 sticks total) I haven't gotten one that I've ever heard of, and couldn't find anything about any of them on the internet. They don't ship with a humi-pillow or anything so they need plenty of "hummy time," and even after two months one or two are still hard as a rock!

Anyway, I just put out one called Rey del Mar which claims to be dominican but I can't find any info. The first inch was REALLY harsh and the rest just tasted like tobacco/ash. No flavor or complexity at all.

Still waiting on my NUbs from CI... this weekend should be better :smiley-dance:

ToolMan28 04-27-2009 06:57 PM

On that Cigar of the Month thing, I have been looking at that myself. Talking to other BOTL, I have heard that Thompsoncigar.com is pretty good until you want to stop or change your membership at all.

One story; this guy was a member for about a year and maybe a half. He called to cancel his subscription due mostly to moving to a new house. Not only did they not stop his membership and continued to send his cigars to his old address, but several months later he was contacted by a collection agency for the money that was not paid. He said it was a mess and would never recomend it.

Cigars international looks pretty good, they say you'll never get the same cigar twice, but if it is anything like the $20 dollar grab bag they sell, you'll probably be disapointed there as well. I purchased that grab bag 3 times or so, and it was always the same cigars. I think there might have been 2 out of the 10 that were decent.

So far those are the 2 companies that I have delt with online. I have had good experiences with both. I am looking at another site now, called cigarplace.biz. I saw another member talking about it. As far as I can tell, they have a good selection, but typically, the prices are $1 more than what CI offers. Thompson is a bit more expensive, but does have a better selection of sticks in the 1 - 2 dollar range.

I went to a B&M in Kansas City a while ago, The Outlaw Cigar Company. The guy there said they have a cigar of the month thing too, and it sounded good, but will probably be more expensive being a local shop. They have a website, google it! They seem like a pretty good place to do business too.

chrish012 04-27-2009 07:06 PM

Yea, I was actually looking into a few of them before she bought me this one. The only thing I worry about is that so far I have a fairly specific taste in cigars... who knows if i'll get 5 fantastic super-premiums for $25 and i don't like any?
I think when this expires I'll stick to buying what I like for a while and maybe start a better one when I'm ready to venture out again...

ToolMan28 04-27-2009 07:10 PM

I agree, I like to buy 5 packs to sample cigars that I am curious about, or if they have a good price on a cigar sampler I might pick one of those up too.

D.T 04-28-2009 01:23 AM

In the 5V Miami line i've only had the knuckle so i cant tell you any comparisons. I will tell you that it is a good stick and i always try to keep a few in the box. Can't wait for the Nub Miami!!!!

skipper 04-28-2009 09:23 AM

I think those C of the M clubs are all bogus. They are going to send you their surplus. Wouldn't you rather pick and chose for yourself?
Yeah, I got roped into one many many years ago. It was a disaster. And like above shutting it off proved very very troublesome.
Instead promise yourself you are going to try something new each month. Go to your LCS (local cigar shop) or your favorite online vendor and have a little fun.

EvilAsh 04-28-2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipper (Post 22513)
I think those C of the M clubs are all bogus. They are going to send you their surplus. Wouldn't you rather pick and chose for yourself?
Yeah, I got roped into one many many years ago. It was a disaster. And like above shutting it off proved very very troublesome.
Instead promise yourself you are going to try something new each month. Go to your LCS (local cigar shop) or your favorite online vendor and have a little fun.

Great post and suggestions Skipper, I agree :thumb:

chrish012 04-28-2009 10:45 AM

Well she pre-paid for three months, hopefully it won't be an issue to just let it expire. It hasn't even been surplus they're sending, its just crap.

Anyway, I have an "LCS" i frequent about weekly and the old man in there is awesome to talk to. I did have to tell him about the NUb Maduro's last week though and he'd never heard of them. Hopefully this week he spoke to his nub rep and will have some info for me.

skipper 04-28-2009 10:49 AM

does he carry Oliva cigars? LCS orders Nubs through Oliva.

chrish012 04-28-2009 11:00 AM

yes he carries both (nub and oliva). I asked about Maduros and he said he hadnt heard of them, and that his rep was just there not long before...

This was a few weeks ago, before i found this site, and i started to think maybe i had found a hoax!

skipper 04-28-2009 02:35 PM

LOL... I think I know the rep there. I KNOW the rep knows about the maddies.

chrish012 04-28-2009 02:46 PM

LOL, I'm sure he did. Maybe limited initial supply meant the rep didn't plan on selling him a box?

I love that old guy at the local shop but sometimes he seems a little scatter brained....

byrdman33 04-28-2009 02:52 PM

I'm feenin' like a junkie for a Cammie 466 BPT or any Habano. May have to scratch my itch with a 460 Connie after work.

maverick21383 04-28-2009 03:29 PM

I have some 5 Vegas sticks in my humidor, but I haven't tried the Miami yet, I'll have to pick some up to hang out with this brothers.

As for the Cigar of the Month club, I purchased one for Brian for a wedding gift and he seems to like it. It was prepaid for a specific amount of months, so maybe this is a better way to go.

D.T 04-30-2009 01:46 AM

Had a 358 cammie b4 work. Snuck outside while little man took a nap. God i'm glad spring finally showed up.:)

ToolMan28 04-30-2009 02:03 AM

Today I had half a DOG ROCKET, threw it away, got it from a B&M in Iowa, I didnt even save the band, just let her go out in the big butt can.

Yesterday however, I enjoyed a Rocky Patel 2008 Summer Edition (7x44 I think), also a pick up while at home. Ahhhh, it was way good, CI still has them in stock, gonna order a box on the 1st. I had never had a Rocky before, I always got them in grab bags and stuff, but my LT always takes them, so I hid this one till yesterday.

EvilAsh 04-30-2009 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToolMan28 (Post 22665)
Yesterday however, I enjoyed a Rocky Patel 2008 Summer Edition (7x44 I think), also a pick up while at home. Ahhhh, it was way good, CI still has them in stock, gonna order a box on the 1st. I had never had a Rocky before, I always got them in grab bags and stuff, but my LT always takes them, so I hid this one till yesterday.

NICE! RP makes some of my favorites :nub:

Vintage 90
Wintage 92
Edge Maduro
Olde World Reserve Maduro
Sungrown

Glad you enjoyed the Summer Edition, I've yet to try it

Patrick B 04-30-2009 08:12 AM

Yesterday I had a Padron Delicias maduro, an Oliva O perfecto, and a Tat Havana VI.

chrish012 04-30-2009 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick B (Post 22672)
Yesterday I had a Padron Delicias maduro, an Oliva O perfecto, and a Tat Havana VI.

Jealous! I need to get a few Tat Havana's....

KnightRid 04-30-2009 10:33 AM

Right now - a Perdomo Fresco with the morning coffee